The aim of this course is to give learners the knowledge and skills required to care and support a person with a stoma. This course will also give learners a detailed understanding of how a stoma works, the types of stomas available and the side-effects people may experience when using a stoma.
The course is aimed at nurses and care workers and gives the learner a better understanding of what daily care people will need.
Learners are to undertake written assessment. Practical demonstration and practice if required.
On successful completion of this course the learner will be qualified to:
- Operate within the legal boundaries with regard to providing care for people with a stoma.
- Understand the meaning of the word ‘Stoma’.
- Explain the differences between a colostomy and an ileostomy.
- Know the different foods which are rich in vitamins B12, K1 & K2.
- Understand how the bowel works.
- Understand the types of diseases which can affect the bowel.
- Understand when a stoma is necessary.
- Be aware of the psychological effects of having a stoma.
- Know how to supporting somebody with a stoma.
- Be aware of the side-effects of having a stoma.
½ Day (3 Hours)
Number of Delegates
Price: £45 (inc. VAT)
Price as per current Price List